Get this card
The Platinum Card®Apply Now
- Network Provider
- American Express
- American Express
- Annual fee
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance rate
- Balance transfer rate
- Credit Needed
- Excellent (750-900)
- Unlock special experiences with the newly designed metal Platinum Card
- New Platinum Cardmembers, earn 25,000 welcome bonus Membership Rewards® points when you charge $2,000 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership.
- Earn 3 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible dining in Canada, 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible travel, and 1 point for every $1 in all other Card purchases
- You will have access to a $200 CAD annual travel credit to use towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card and made on www.americanexpress.ca/travel or through Platinum Card® travel service
- Take full advantage of the American Express Global Lounge collection which unlocks access to over 1200 airport lounges worldwide. This includes The Centurion® Lounge network, Plaza Premium Lounges, and hundreds of other domestic and international lounges designed to enhance your travel experience
- Enjoy complimentary benefits that offer an average value of $550 USD at over 1,000 extraordinary properties worldwide when you book Fine Hotels & Resorts
- Platinum card members can enjoy access to special events and unique opportunities
- Enjoy premium benefits at the Toronto Pearson Airport including security bypass, complimentary valet car service, and discount car care and parking
- You will also have access to many leading hotel and car rental companies’ loyalty programs. Our partners include Marriott International, Hilton Hotels and Resorts®, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels, and Resorts and Hertz® and Avis®
- Receive up to a $100 USD hotel credit at participating properties on qualifying room charges and a room upgrade, when available
- As a charge card, the balance must always be paid in full each month. 30% annual interest rate applies to balances not paid in full. Payments must be received and processed by the date of the next monthly statement to avoid interest charges
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
- Airport Lounge Access
- Airport Parking Discounts
- Airport Valet Service
- Annual Travel Credit
- Complimentary Airline Upgrades
- Entertainment Benefits
- Extended Warranty
- Flight Discounts
- Golf Course Access
- Hotel Benefits
- Premium Hotel Program Membership
- Purchase Protection
- Rental Car Discounts
- Travel Insurance
About This Card
People with excellent credit scores (750 and above) can apply for The Platinum Card, the iconic rewards credit card from American Express.
A product refresh in early 2019 brought a host of exciting changes to the card.
First, The Platinum Cards are now made of actual metal. It's been one of the most exclusive cards on the market for years now — it has an annual fee of $699 and additional cards cost $175 — and the design change is sure to deliver an even more premium experience to cardholders.
Then, there are the changes to The Platinum Card's rewards earn rate. Here's how the new earn rate breaks down:
- Earn 3 points for every $1 spent on eligible dining experiences.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 on eligible travel purchases.
- Earn 1 point on all other purchases.
One of the benefits of getting a new Platinum Card is the fact that you can now access benefits that have an approximate cash value of $550 USD when you plan trips through Amex's Fine Hotels & Resorts portal.
For reference, Amex is partnered with Marriott International, Hilton Hotels and Resorts®, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts and Hertz® and Avis® car rentals.
And new cardmembers earn 25,000 welcome points when you charge $2,000 in purchases to your card within the first three months.
However, since it is a charge card, holders of The Platinum Card must pay off their entire balance each month. An annual interest rate of 30% applies to balances that are not paid in full. To ensure you're not charged any interest, make sure your payment is received and processed by the date of your next monthly statement.