Get this card
The Platinum Card®Apply Now
- Network Provider
- American Express
- American Express
- Annual fee
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance rate
- Balance transfer rate
- Credit Needed
- Excellent (750-900)
- Unlock special experiences with the Platinum® Card
- Earn up to 80,000 Membership Rewards® points - that’s up to $800 in statement credits that can be used towards extra leg room on your next flight, or a weekend away at the spa charged to your Card
- New Platinum® Cardmembers, earn 60,000 Welcome Bonus points after you charge $6,000 in net purchases to your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership
- Plus, earn 20,000 points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of Cardmembership
- Earn 3 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible dining and food delivery in Canada, 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible travel, and 1 point for every $1 in all other Card purchases
- You will have access to a $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit to use towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card and made on www.americanexpress.ca/travel or through Platinum Card® Travel Service
- Take full advantage of The American Express Global Lounge Collection™ which unlocks access to over 1200 airport lounges worldwide. This includes The Centurion® Lounge network, Plaza Premium Lounges, and hundreds of other domestic and international lounges designed to enhance your travel experience
- Enjoy flexible ways to use your points such as statement credits for any eligible purchase charged to your Card, new travel purchases booked on American Express Travel Online through the Flexible Points Travel Program, and eligible flights through the Fixed Points Travel Program
- Transfer points 1:1 to several frequent flyer and other loyalty programs
- Enjoy complimentary benefits that offer an average value of $550 USD at over 1,000 extraordinary properties worldwide when you book Fine Hotels + Resorts
- Platinum Cardmembers can enjoy access to special events and unique opportunities
- Enjoy premium benefits at the Toronto Pearson Airport such as discount on parking
- You will also have access to many leading hotel and car rental companies’ loyalty programs. Our partners include Marriott International, Hilton Hotels and Resorts, Radisson Hotel Group Americas, Hertz and Avis
- Interest applies in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement, Information Box, and Disclosure statement if the total New Balance is not paid by the Payment Due Date each month. All payments must be received by the Payment Due Date shown on the monthly statement
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
- Airport Lounge Access
- Airport Parking Discounts
- Annual Travel Credit
- Entertainment Benefits
- Extended Warranty
- Flight Discounts
- Hotel Benefits
- Premium Hotel Program Membership
- Purchase Protection
- Travel Benefits
- Travel Insurance
About This Card
People with excellent credit scores (750 and above) can apply for The Platinum Card®, the iconic rewards credit card from American Express.
The Platinum Card® has been one of the most exclusive cards on the market for years now, and is made of actual metal. It has an annual fee of $699, and additional cards cost $175.
Here's how The Platinum Card®'s rewards earn rate works:
- Earn 3 points for every $1 spent on eligible dining and food delivery in Canada.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligable travel purchases.
- Earn 1 point on all other card purchases.
New cardholders can earn up to 80,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points. First, you can earn 60,000 Welcome Bonus points after spending $6,000 in net purchases within the first three months. Plus, earn 20,000 points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of Cardmembership
One of the benefits of getting The Platinum Card® is the fact that you can access benefits that have an approximate cash value of $550 USD when you plan trips through Amex's Fine Hotels + Resorts portal.
Another benefit is there are flexible ways to use your points, such as statement credits for any eligible purchase charged to your card, new travel purchases booked on American Express Travel Online through the Flexible Points Travel Program, and eligible flights through the Fixed Points Travel Program. You can also transfer points 1:1 to several frequent flyer and other loyalty programs.
For reference, Amex is partnered with Marriott International, Hilton Hotels and Resorts, Radisson Hotel Group Americas, Hertz and Avis.
Since it is a charge card, holders of The Platinum Card® must pay off their entire balance each month. An annual interest rate of 30% applies to balances that are not paid in full. To ensure you're not charged any interest, make sure your payment is received and processed by the date of your next monthly statement.
The other benefit of a charge card like The Platinum Card® is that there's no predesignated credit limit. You can charge whatever you think you can afford. That said, it bears repeating: you must be able to pay it off in full.
Cardholders also get a number of travel, insurance, entertainment and protection privileges. Included is the American Express’ Front Of The Line program, which grants cardholders access to highly sought after shows and concerts.
The Platinum Card® has an annual fee of $699. Additional cards cost $175.