1. It may seem obvious, but many people don’t bother to find out the most basic things about the country they will travel to. You should do this to avoid surprise or disappointment.
2. Check on the kind of weather you will find where you are going. If you live in Florida and travel to northern Greenland, you will be in for a shock unless you know that much colder weather is normal there.
3. Be sure that the medical and general insurance coverage you have (you do have, don’t you?) is adequate for your destination.
4. Do you have all the paperwork and documentation required for your trip? If not, get it!
5. Are there any diseases you will need immunization against where you are going? Check and find out before getting exposed.
6. If you plan on driving in the place you intend to travel to, check that you have an acceptable licence. You may need an international driving licence, for example. And are you familiar with the local driving laws where you are going? If not, become familiar, fast.
7. Finally, the most obvious one of all: is your passport up to date? And if not, do you have enough time to renew it before you set off? You’d be surprised, amazed even, at how many people get this one wrong.