We can help you find cheap car insurance in London.
Before heading out on city roads, London, Ont. drivers should seek out the best insurance policy at the lowest price. LowestRates.ca can help.
We find drivers the best rates on car insurance in London by shopping the auto insurance market for them.
Enter your postal code along with a few details about your car and driving history and we’ll show you quotes from multiple car insurance companies serving London.
Next, we’ll connect you with a London car insurance broker or agent who can secure your new lower rate.
Finding cheap auto insurance in London has never been easier.
Not ready to compare quotes yet? Keep reading to learn more about what factors influence London car insurance rates and what you can do as a consumer to find the coverage you need at the best price.
See how our customers in London save big on auto insurance.
|Customer||Location||Vehicle||Lowest rate||Average rate||Saved|
Quote from September 24, 2023
Male, 36 years old
2017 HYUNDAI ACCENT SE 4DR
Quote from September 24, 2023
Male, 43 years old
2012 MAZDA MAZDA5 GS 5DR
Quote from September 24, 2023
Male, 37 years old
2009 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 2.0T 4DR
Auto insurance quotes are compared from CAA, Coachman Insurance Company, Economical Insurance, Gore Mutual, Onlia Insurance, Pafco, Pembridge, SGI, Travelers, Zenith Insurance Company
Your questions about driving in London, answered.
How much is car insurance in London?
It’s hard to say how much car insurance in London will cost you without having information about your driving and insurance history, as well as the car you’re looking to insure. Because car insurance is customized to your own personal risk factors, the average price of auto insurance in London is not an accurate indicator of what you will pay. Your personal driving history will play a big role in determining what your final premium will be.
Even car insurance calculators geared to London drivers can’t provide you with a useful figure. They just don’t require enough information.
To get an accurate estimate of what car insurance in London will cost, we recommend applying for a quote. Starting the process on LowestRates.ca is easy. Just enter your postal code and click the ‘Get Started’ button.
Still curious about the average price of car insurance in London? Keep in mind that our user data only accounts for new business (most people see a slight reduction of their premium at renewal).
Which London postal code has the most expensive auto insurance premiums?
The London, Ont. postal code that receives the highest auto insurance quotes on our site is the N5Y region in the northeastern part of London. It encompasses the neighbourhood of Carling.
Keep in mind that your quote may be different. Your personal driving history and eligibility for certain discounts also plays an important role in determining your final rate.
Which London postal code has the cheapest auto insurance premiums?
The London, Ont. postal code that receives the cheapest auto insurance quotes on our site is the N5X region — a large area located directly north of Carling, the neighbourhood that receives the most expensive quotes in the city.
The N5X postal code encompasses neighbourhoods of Fanshawe, Stoney Creek, Northdale, Stoney Brooke.
Your personal driving record and eligibility for various discounts can help you reduce your rate even further.
How do London car insurance quotes compare to other cities in Ontario?
We benchmarked the average cost of car insurance in London to the average prices in surrounding areas. Here’s how London compares to its neighbours:
- Kitchener: 1% lower
- St. Thomas: 17% lower
- Strathroy: 19% lower
- Stratford: 20% lower
- Hamilton: 19% higher
When looking at these figures, keep in mind that you should not use these as estimates for how much you’ll pay. You may be able to find a quote that’s lower than the average in your city.
What factors determine my car insurance quotes in London?
A number of different factors determine the size of your quoted premium. The main ones are:
- Your age - Drivers under age 30 pay the highest auto insurance premiums
- Your driving history - Insurance companies will charge you more for things like having a short driving history (not having a full license) and for having driving convictions on your record (or both).
- Your postal code - Where you live impacts your auto insurance. If an insurance company has paid out a lot of claims to other policyholders in your postal code, they will increase premiums for everyone.
- Your car - If your car is expensive to replace or is a model that is commonly targeted by thieves, your premium will be higher.
- Your daily mileage - The longer your daily commute, the more you will pay for auto insurance and vice versa. There is a correlation between how long you spend on the road and the likelihood you’ll be involved in a collision.
- Your desired coverage level - The more comprehensive the coverage you choose, the more you will pay and vice versa.
To reduce your car insurance premium, you can try applying for discounts and bundling your car insurance with your home policy. Also try a usage-based policy, which can reduce your premium by up to 25%.
What kind of car insurance do I need in London?
All drivers in Ontario must carry third-party liability auto insurance, with a liability benefit worth at least $200,000 and an accident benefit of at least $50,000.
You can add extra property insurance to your base policy. Optional coverages include:
- Collision - Will pay to repair or replace your car if it is damaged in a collision.
- Comprehensive - Will pay to repair or replace your car if it is damaged by an insurable risk other than a collision. For example, it is flattened by a falling tree, pummelled by hail or other weather events, or damaged by vandals or thieves.
- Specified perils - Will cover you against insurable risks that you specifically ask for — and nothing more.
- All perils - A hybrid between collision and comprehensive insurance.
Where do I get the cheapest car insurance quotes in London?
No London auto insurance company offers cheap car insurance to every London driver that applies for a policy. Car insurance premiums are tailored to each driver and their driving and insurance history.
Comparing car insurance quotes in advance of your policy renewal date can also lower your costs. Since every insurance company’s tolerance for risk is a bit different, it’s possible that one might favour you more than your current auto insurance company.
Car insurance in London for high-risk drivers
Being high-risk means that insurance companies think that the likelihood of you being involved in an accident and filing a claim is high. Driving convictions, previous accidents, and licence suspensions will put a driver into the high-risk category. It’s very hard to find cheap car insurance in London as a high-risk driver. There are, however, insurance companies that cater to high-risk drivers. LowestRates.ca provides quotes from these insurance companies.
Car insurance in London for seniors
Adults between the ages of 50 and 70 get some of the lowest rates on car insurance in London. After age 70, car insurance rates tend to rise. If you do see your rates begin to climb, it may be time to shop around for new automobile insurance in London.
Car insurance in London for students
Car insurance for new drivers in London is expensive. Young people pay, on average, the highest insurance premiums of any demographic (high-risk drivers excluded).
Here are some ways you can make your car insurance in London more affordable:
- Don’t get your own car insurance. Opt to get listed as the secondary driver of your parents’ car. Insurance for secondary drivers costs less.
- See if your insurance company offers discounts to students.
- Take a driver’s education course. Earning a certificate will reduce your car insurance premium.
It can be challenging for new drivers to find cheap car insurance in London. However, we’ve found that young drivers find the most savings on LowestRates.ca — the more you’re expected to pay, the more dramatic the savings you find when you compare car insurance quotes.
Car insurance in London for new immigrants
You must trade in your licence from the country you’ve emigrated from within 60 days for an Ontario driver’s license. The provincial government recognizes licences from several countries as equivalent to an Ontario license, which makes your transition smoother and spares you from going through Ontario’s graduated licencing system. Ask your old insurance company to provide a reference to your new Ontario insurer. You’ll have a better chance at securing a lower car insurance rate because you have proof of your insurance and driving history.
More ways to lower car insurance rates in London
- Install winter tires. London is situated within Ontario’s Snow Belt. Installing winter tires will not only keep you safe, but it will also lower your annual car insurance premium.
- Try leaving your car at home. Instead of driving to Toronto, consider taking the rail or bus on your out-of-town day trips. Via Rail stops at the main train station in town. Lowering your annual mileage will also lower your car insurance premium.
- Practice defensive driving. Keeping a clean driving record will do wonders for your car insurance premium. Pay attention at the Wellington-Commissioners intersection. London's busiest intersection witnesses thousands of cars crossing the juncture every day, making the area one of the city's most common locations for car accidents.
About the Author
Alexandra Bosanac is the Core Content Manager for LowestRates.ca. Her reporting has appeared in Canadian Business, the Toronto Star, the National Post, and the CBC.