Learn more about The Personal car insurance.
Founded in 1974 and operating under parent organization Desjardins General Insurance Group Inc., The Personal Insurance Company offers Canadians the long-term stability they value in an insurance provider and the diversity of coverages they need. The Personal is headquartered in Mississauga, Ont. and specializes in group home and auto insurance, offering Canadians exclusive access to group rates not available to the general public.
The Personal is actually two entities: The Personal General Insurance, serving the Quebec market, and The Personal Insurance Company, which serves the rest of Canada.
You must belong to a member group to buy insurance from The Personal. More than 700 professional organizations, guilds, post-secondary institutions and corporations use The Personal for insurance.
A 40-year track record of offering exclusive insurance discounts — in every province and territory — is pretty hard to argue with. So if you’re looking for the most competitive rates available, maybe it’s time your business or association consider joining the hundreds of private and public Canadian organizations already affiliated with The Personal.
The Personal car insurance advantage.
When it comes to car insurance in Canada, The Personal has been a trusted provider for over 40 years. In addition to great service, The Personal also offers a number of discounts to help you save on your car insurance.
- Bundling: Save up to 20% on property insurance and up to 5% on auto insurance by insuring your vehicle and home with The Personal. Additionally, if you’re faced with an incident that involves both your vehicle and your home, you will only be required to pay a single deductible — whichever one is higher.
- Multiple vehicle discount: Auto insurance premium discounts of up to 15% are available by insuring two or more vehicles with The Personal.
- Safe driving: Zero highway traffic violations within the last three years? You may qualify for a 15% discount.
- Student discounts: If you’re a full-time post-secondary student or recent graduate — and are under the age of 25 — you may be eligible for 10% off your car insurance.
- Being loyal pays off: The Personal will reward you for being a loyal customer — even if it was to another insurance company. If you’ve been insured with the same company for a number of years, you may be entitled to a discount on your auto premium when you switch over. Ask your broker if you qualify.
- Driving eco-friendly: Find savings of up to 5% if you insure an electric or hybrid vehicle with The Personal.
- Approved winter tires: Installing four approved winter tires during the winter season will net you a 5% discount on your auto insurance.
The best way to find out what rates you’ll pay for car insurance is to compare the market online. Compare The Personal’s car insurance quotes online alongside 30+ other car insurance companies on LowestRates.ca to make sure you’re securing the best rate. If you’re unsure about whether you qualify for the discounts above, you can contact The Personal Insurance at this phone number to find out: 1-888-476-8737.
Exclusive discounts - By joining the more than 700 Canadian organizations currently partnered with The Personal, your group’s affiliation means you’ll have access to exclusive group rates and benefits.
Worry-Free Option® - A suite of optional auto insurance coverages, including loss of use, damage to non-owned vehicles, and emergency roadside services, all in one package.
5-year New Vehicle Protection - This optional coverage protects your new vehicle against depreciation for the first five years. In the event your car is deemed a total loss, The Personal will provide compensation that matches the car's actual cash value and also recoups the value lost by depreciation. In the event of a partial loss, your vehicle will be repaired using only new parts.
Alert™ - This is The Personal’s newly established water damage prevention program — the first of its kind in Canada. If your home experiences water damage, you’ll get a notification from the app immediately.
Ajusto program - A feature exclusive to drivers in Quebec and Ontario, The Personal’s Ajusto Program is a fully mobile telematics program that tracks your driving habits through an app. Depending on how well you meet The Personal's criteria for safe driving — driving smoothness, speed, time of day, distance travelled — your behaviour behind the wheel could result in premium discounts (but never in premium increases).
Is there an app?
Yes. Customers have access to a number of services once they log in to The Personal mobile app. By downloading The Personal’s app, you can manage many aspects of your policy, including filing a claim, adding a driver, changing your contact information, or requesting documents. You also access the Ajusto telematics program through the app.
The app is compatible with Android and Apple devices including the Apple Watch.
How to submit a claim with The Personal
If your vehicle is damaged or stolen and you need to make a car insurance claim with The Personal, there are a few steps to follow:
- The Personal's phone number for car insurance claims:
- File through the app:
- Claims can be filed anytime by using the online form or the mobile app.
- Hours of availability:
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you file a claim online, you can book an appointment with a body shop in just 10 minutes. Or if you’re simply looking to educate yourself about the claims process, The Personal’s online interactive Claims Centre walks you through what to do in the event of a loss, explains which damages are covered and which are not, and provides a list of recommended service providers for vehicle repairs, vehicle rentals, emergency cleanup, home renovations and more.
You can also use this number to call The Personal insurance information line if you’re simply seeking advice on your insurance coverage: 1-888-476-8737
You also have the option to contact The Personal’s insurance claims professionals to review your claim in more detail.
About the Author
Jessica is the former Associate Editor for LowestRates.ca. Before joining the team, Jessica worked as a National Online Journalist with Globalnews.ca and previously spearheaded the launch of the Business Section at one of Canada's largest technology websites, MobileSyrup.