Get this card
American Express® Gold Rewards CardApply Now
- Network Provider
- American Express
- American Express
- Annual fee
- Purchase interest rate
- Cash advance rate
- Balance transfer rate
- Credit Needed
- Good (650-749)
- New American Express® Gold Rewards cardmembers can earn a Welcome Bonus of 50,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $3,000 in purchases to your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership
- Plus, you can also earn an additional 10,000 points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of cardmembership
- The card is now available in your choice of Gold or Rose Gold metal options
- 60,000 points is enough to redeem for a round-trip flight to almost anywhere in Europe with the American Express Fixed Travel Points Program
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases for eligible travel purchases, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more
- Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else
- Receive a $50 CAD statement credit when a NEXUS application or renewal fee is charged to your American Express® Gold Rewards Card
- You have access to an annual $100 CAD Travel Credit, compliments of your American Express® Gold Rewards Card. Use the credit once annually towards any single travel booking of $100 or more charged to your Gold Rewards Card through American Express Travel Online
- As a Gold Rewards cardmember, you can receive complimentary membership in Priority PassTM – one of the world’s largest independent airport lounge programs. Escape the chaos of airports and relax in an oasis of calm and simply enjoy the fact that the travel experience has begun before your plane has even left the ground. Enrollment is required and entry fees apply
- Enjoy four (4) complimentary visits per calendar year to Plaza Premium Lounges across Canada. Entry fees apply once complimentary visits have been used
- Charge any eligible purchase to your credit card then log in to redeem your earned points for a statement credit
- Transfer points 1:1 to several frequent flyer and other loyalty programs
- 1 Free Additional Gold Rewards Card (a $50 value) to help you earn points faster
- Subject to approval. The preferred rate for purchases is 20.99% and funds advances is 21.99%. If you have missed payments, the applicable rates for your account will be 23.99% and/or 26.99%. See the information box included with the application for the definition of Missed Payment and which rates apply to charges on your account and other details
- *American Express is not responsible for maintaining of monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply.
- 24/7 Customer Service
- Airport Lounge Access
- American Express Hotel Collection
- Annual Travel Credit
- Car Rental Insurance
- Entertainment Benefits
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Protection
- Rental Car Discounts
- Rental Car Insurance
- Travel Cancellation
- Travel Insurance
About This Card
The American Express® Gold Rewards card offers users a variety of benefits, including the ability to collect reward points. Reward points can be redeemed for travel expenses, like vacation packages and flights.
But there's one key difference with this card: it's a charge card. That means its holders have no preset monthly credit limit — but they must pay off the entire balance each month or face a penalty interest charge.
In the case of the American Express Gold Rewards card, the APR on unpaid balances is 30%.
That's why it carries an annual fee of $150 and why only those with excellent credit scores can qualify for the American Express Gold Rewards card.
For every $1 spent, cardholders receive two reward points. New cardholders get 50,000 bonus points when they sign up and spend $3,000 over the first three months of activation.
You can also get a free additional Gold Rewards Card (normally a $50 value) to help you earn points faster. Foreign transaction fees are set at 2.5%.
If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, keep in mind that as a new cardmember you'll also be entitled to American Express's 24-7 customer service and fraud protection. For an extra fee, cardholders can partake in an additional American Express rewards program.
Why use the American Express Gold Rewards card?
No preset credit limit - When it comes to how much you can spend on this card, you can charge whatever you think you can afford, as you must pay off the full balance at the end of the billing cycle.
Maximize the value of your points - The American Express Gold Rewards card allows users to transfer their reward points to their frequent flyer program. Eligible programs include Aeroplan and Avios.
Make purchases with Apple Pay - Gold Rewards cardholders can be discreet and charge purchases through their phone using Apple Pay.
Access to insurance benefits and discounts - As the owner of an American Express Gold Rewards card, you have access to numerous benefits, including extended warranties on purchases, protection against theft, rental car discounts and insurance, and travel insurance.
Complimentary hotel credits - American Express is partnered with The Hotel Collection, which has over 600 member hotels and resorts in over 30 countries. When holders of the American Express Business Gold Rewards book a stay with one of these member hotels through American Express Travel, they're entitled to:
- A credit of up to $100 USD for amenities like spa treatments, golf, and dining experiences (room service excluded).
- A complimentary room upgrade at check-in, when available.
Use points to pay for your trip — the whole trip - Points earned on the American Express Gold Rewards card can be used to pay for all types of travel expenses, including flights and hotels. The points can even be used to pay for processing and service fees, as well as taxes associated with the cost of the trip.
Read an in-depth review of this card from our team.