This article has been updated from a previous version.
For many, home insurance is yet another expense in the homebuying process. While it’s
not mandatory to have home insurance, many lenders won’t offer you a mortgage without it.
Before settling on an insurance provider, it’s in your best interest to shop around and
compare home insurance quotes in your area in order to save money. But there are also ways to save money once you have a home insurance policy: discounts.
Ask your provider about ways to save and see if you qualify — you might be eligible for some of these common homeowners insurance discounts.
1. Bundling discount How to get this home insurance discount: Bundling insurance products is a great way to secure a discount. For instance, if you decide to keep your auto and home insurance with the same company, you might be rewarded with a discount.
In the end, bundling is a win-win. The insurance provider gets more of your business, and you get a discount. Not to mention your insurance products are centralized with one provider, making the claims process for both policies more streamlined.
2. Home security insurance discount How to get this home insurance discount: Another way to secure a discount on your home insurance is by installing a monitored security alarm. Your home insurance provider is interested in how risky it is to insure your home and the contents inside. If you’ve installed technology that can deter burglars from stealing, chances are good it will view your home as less risky to insure, which could mean lower rates.
Not all security systems will get you a discount, however. Ask your home insurance provider for more information before purchasing one.
3. Fire alarm system discount How to get this home insurance discount: Home insurance discounts and alarms go hand in hand. Similar to installing a home security system, you could be eligible for a house insurance discount if you have a monitored fire alarm in your home. An insurance discount could be yours if your insurance provider can see that the system will notify the fire department quickly if a fire breaks out in your home. It could benefit them since potential fire claims would likely be less expensive to pay out if there’s minor damage done. 4. Mature homeowner discount How to get this home insurance discount: Getting older has its perks. Some insurance companies will offer discounts to mature homeowners. The age that qualifies as “mature” will vary from provider to provider, so check with your broker or insurance provider to determine if you’re eligible based on your age. 5. Group/association discount How to get this home insurance discount: If you’re part of certain groups or associations, you might be able to leverage that into a discount on your home insurance.
For example, certain providers might give you a reduced home insurance rate if you're part of a union, alumni group, or perhaps a professional association. Ask your broker or insurance provider for more details.
6. Claims-free discount How to get this home insurance discount: This one is more likely to apply to existing customers. If you’ve been with your home insurance provider for several years and have never made a claim under your policy, you might want to inquire about a claim-free discount.
Alternatively, if you’re signing up with a home insurance provider for the first time, ask if a claims-free discount is available in the future and how many years you need to be claims-free for it to kick in.
7. Multi-property discount How to get this home insurance discount: If you own more than one property and insure them all with the same home insurance provider, you could be eligible for a discount on your premium. 8. Mortgage-free discount How to get this home insurance discount: If you manage to pay off your mortgage, you should let your home insurance provider know. You might be eligible for a discount for no longer carrying a mortgage. 9. Loyalty discount How to get this home insurance discount: If you’ve been with the same home insurance provider for many years, you might want to inquire about potential discounts. Sometimes, insurance providers will reward loyal customers with savings on their premiums. 10. New home discount How to get this home insurance discount: First-time homebuyers might be able to secure a discount on their home insurance. Some insurance providers will offer lower rates if the home is new (or newer).
However, as time goes on and the home gets older, you may see those savings decrease.
11. Non-smoker discount How to get this home insurance discount: Insurance is all about risk. And those who smoke — and by extension, might smoke inside their homes — present a higher risk to insurance providers than non-smokers.
So if you aren’t a smoker, let your home insurance provider know. It could get you a discount.
12. Lump-sum payment discount How to get this home insurance discount: If you can afford to pay your annual home insurance premium in a lump sum rather than over 12 months, your insurance provider might offer you a pay-in-full discount.
Why? Insurance providers don’t like it when people miss their monthly payments — it can often be
grounds for cancellation — and an annual lump sum is a guarantee.
Save 30% on average on home insurance
Compare quotes from 50+ Canadian providers in 3 minutes.