We can help you find cheap car insurance quotes in Burlington.
Burlington is a large GTA suburb and drivers there deal with tons of traffic. The rate of tickets and accidents in Burlington is higher than the provincial average, too.
These factors combined means car insurance in Burlington can get pretty expensive.
The good news is we can help you find affordable automobile insurance in Burlington. In three minutes, we'll compare Burlington auto insurance quotes and show you which provider is offering your lowest one.
Once you’ve seen your quotes, we’ll connect you with a Burlington car insurance broker or agent to help you lock in your new rate.
Get started by entering your postal code.
Not ready? Keep reading to learn more about how to get cheap auto insurance in Burlington.
Your questions about driving in Burlington, answered.
How much is car insurance in Burlington?
Car insurance premiums are based on a myriad of factors. Because of this, the cost of car insurance in Burlington is different for each driver.
Luckily, there are things drivers can do to lower the price of their Burlington car insurance policy, like asking your insurance broker about potential discounts, maintaining a good driving record, and comparing quotes from different auto insurance companies in Burlington to secure the cheapest rates.
After using a rate comparison site, the broker or agent you're connected to may recommend changes to your coverage, which can affect the price. But ultimately, the rate you see on LowestRates.ca is what you’ll pay.
Looking for an estimate of car insurance prices in Burlington? Car insurance calculators for Burlington are not comprehensive enough to provide accurate premiums.
Which postal codes pay the highest car insurance premiums in Burlington?
Your postal code is a big factor in determining your car insurance rates.
The Burlington postal code with the highest average premium is the L7P area. This postal code encompasses the Brant Hills, Mountainside and Tyandaga neighbourhoods.
Which postal codes pay the lowest car insurance premiums in Burlington?
The Burlington postal code with the lowest average premium is the L7T region, which encompasses Aldershot, Central (Downtown), and Plains.
How do Burlington car insurance rates compare to other cities in Ontario?
Despite having a high overall average, Burlington isn’t first on the list of the top five Ontario cities with the highest car insurance rates. According to our data, the highest auto insurance premiums in the province can be found in:
- North York
Densely populated cities with tons of road traffic have higher than average car insurance premiums. Insurance companies know that the prevalence of theft and collision in a city like Burlington are higher than in smaller cities by virtue of the population size.
The Ontario cities with the cheapest insurance are:
These cities are less populated than Burlington, which on average lends to cheaper auto insurance rates.
If you’re set to live in Burlington and you want to own a car, don’t panic. Where you live is only one factor among many that car insurance companies use to calculate car insurance rates in Burlington.
Ultimately, your personal driving habits are a major determinant.
Car insurance in Burlington for seniors
Adults between the ages of 50 and 70 can get cheap auto insurance in Burlington. For various reasons, the cost of car insurance declines for the average driver as they get older. Chances are you've got an extended history of being insured and you would possibly even have bundled your home policy with an equivalent provider of your auto insurance.
Also, if you’re retired and live in Ontario, you might be eligible for a 5% to 15% discount on your premium for your accident benefits coverage.
After age 70, you might see your rate begin to increase because people in this age group are statistically more likely to file a claim. If you do see your rates start to creep up, it's time to shop around for new automobile insurance in Burlington.
Car insurance in Burlington for students
It can be challenging for new drivers to find cheap car insurance in Burlington. Young people pay, on average, the highest insurance premiums of any demographic.
The good news is there are ways to find affordable car insurance in Burlington.
Here’s how new drivers in Burlington can lower their car insurance costs:
- Start by comparing auto insurance quotes in Burlington. You can do this by using a rate comparison website like ours.
- If you complete the Young Drivers of Canada program, you may be eligible for discounted insurance. Make sure you get a certificate of completion to show to a Burlington car insurance company. It will lower your rate.
- When you’re in school (high school or post-secondary), some auto insurance companies will even provide discounts to students who maintain high grades.
- Join a telematics program. Installing a telematics device in your car, or using an app that tracks your driving habits, can earn you a discount of up to 25% on your auto insurance.
- Avoid getting your own car if you can. Instead, ask to be listed as the secondary driver of your parents’ car.
Last but not least, don’t forget to compare auto insurance rates in Burlington. This will help you secure the best coverage based on your needs.
Car insurance in Burlington for high-risk drivers
It’s hard to find cheap car insurance in Burlington as a high-risk driver. Being high-risk means insurance companies think that the likelihood of you needing to file a claim.
There are some Burlington insurance companies that will insure high-risk drivers, but it’s possible that you will be turned away. If that happens, you can purchase facility insurance, which is a pool that is funded by Canadian insurance companies to offer coverage to high-risk drivers. Unfortunately, facility premiums are much higher than traditional premiums.
Car insurance in Burlington for new immigrants
If you recently immigrated to Ontario, you have 60 days to trade in the licence from the country you emigrated from and obtain an Ontario driver’s licence and insurance.
Next, obtain a quote from a Burlington car insurance company. Request your old insurance company to provide a reference to your new insurer in Ontario. This could help you secure a lower car insurance rate because you’ve got proof of your insurance and driving history.
More tips on how to reduce your Burlington car insurance premiums.
- Disobeying road signs or speed limits can result in traffic tickets, which will raise your premiums. Paletta Lakefront Park is home to the Paletta Mansion, a popular venue for weddings. Drivers, be aware that the roads surrounding this park are extra busy during wedding season.
- Lowering your annual mileage by taking public transit will reduce your car insurance premiums. There's a myth that there’s no public transit in Burlington. In reality, Burlington Transit services the community and connects to the Hamilton and Oakville public transit systems. There are also three Burlington stops along the Lakeshore West GO Train line.
- Traffic can get congested on the Skyway Bridge or, if there's a serious accident, the Skyway can be blocked off. That's why you need to be aware of alternate routes, especially if you travel north or south from Burlington. There's a correlation between the amount of time you spend driving and the likelihood of you being involved in an accident. If you're commuting from Burlington, increasing your accident benefit may be a good idea. It will raise your premium, but it could save you a lot of money in the long run.
About the Author
Zandile is a Personal Finance Writer at LowestRates.ca. Before joining the team Zandile worked as the content editor for Real Estate Management Industry News. As a self-proclaimed budget warrior, Zandile dedicates most of her time to advocating for financial wellness.