Meet Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company
Dominion of Canada has a long and important history in Canada. Its first chief executive was also the country’s first prime minister: John A. Macdonald. It operated in Canada starting in 1887 until 2013, when it was acquired by The Travelers Companies, an American insurer.
You can no longer purchase personal insurance from the Dominion brand. Policies today are offered by Travelers and underwritten by Dominion.
Dominion offers coverage for both personal and recreational vehicles including:
- Private passenger auto insurance (a personal-use vehicle, which includes self-employed people who use it for business)
- Classic car insurance for cars between 15 and 30 years old that are in good condition
- Antique car insurance for cars older than 25 years old and used only for display purposes
- Motorhome insurance for recreational vehicles that are not being used as a permanent residence
- Recreational insurance, which covers four-wheel all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, and personal-use utility or camper trailers
Dominion has a presence across most of Canada, except for Quebec: unfortunately, residents of that province cannot currently apply for personal insurance.
The Dominion advantage
Dominion offers many ways to save on insurance, including bundling your home and auto insurance with Travelers Canada. Here are some other ways to get a discount on your car insurance premiums:
- You’ve completed driver training
- You have a clear driving record (no convictions in the past three years and no at-fault accidents in the past six years)
- You’re retired (applies to Ontario only)
- If your child has limited access to the insured automobile while attending post-secondary institution
Travelers offers Chieftain Insurance, a special insurance product available in Ontario only. Chieftain’s standardized comprehensive coverage is geared towards people whose home and car insurance “needs are straightforward,” according to the company. People who need more tailored insurance plans, however, should consult a broker about Travelers Canada. Here are some of the benefits of choosing Chieftain for your insurance needs:
Continuous coverage - Your policy will never expire unless you cancel it. That means you’ll never need to renew it, either.
Premiums that are reviewed monthly - With premiums that are continually updated, there’s an opportunity for you to save.
Convenient payments - You can pay your monthly premium online with credit, or by telephone.
Yes — sort of. The Travelers Insurance eBooks app for Android and iOS is available in Canada. This free educational app is a repository of information about all the products offered by Travelers and has information about how policyholders can minimize their risk factors — think tips on car maintenance, safe driving, etc. Travelers does not currently offer an app to Canadian customers to manage their policies or report claims (although there is one available to U.S. customers).
How to submit a claim with Dominion
Claims are handled by Travelers.
To make a claim over the phone: 1-800-661-5522
Hours of availability: 24 hours a day, seven days a week
What else does Dominion do?
Before its sale to Travelers in 2013, Dominion offered auto, personal property, commercial property and casualty insurance, with car insurance being the main revenue driver. Today, car insurance policies are underwritten by Dominion for Travelers, so customers cannot purchase any insurance products under the Dominion brand. Travelers offers business as well as personal coverage, including:
- Home insurance
- Boat insurance
- Group insurance
- Commercial insurance
- Management and professional liability
- Surety services