Meet SGI Canada
The name Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is a bit deceiving. SGI actually operates in five provinces across Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and of course, Saskatchewan.
The SGI brand is also part of the Crown corporation that runs the Saskatchewan Auto Fund, the province's compulsory public auto insurance program.
Today, SGI Canada remains headquartered in Regina. SGI as a whole employs approximately 2,000 staff, with 500 of whom are independent insurance brokers.
Compare quotes from SGI Insurance on LowestRates.ca.
The SGI advantage
SGI offers customers the option of choosing between three core packages of collision or upset coverage, comprehensive coverage, and all perils coverage. Policyholders can also qualify for a number of discounts if they satisfy certain requirements, including:
- They’ve kept up a policy — with SGI or elsewhere — for three or more years.
- They’ve been insured exclusively under the SGI brand and have a good driving record.
- They’ve gone three years without a minor conviction, they can qualify for discounts with SGI.
- They’ve insured multiple vehicles with SGI.
- All retired SGI drivers are eligible for a discount.
- People who live on a farm and whose primary method of income is farming can receive discounts.
- New drivers with a spotless record can get discounts for graduating into a higher class of licence.
- Parents or guardians of a student enrolled in university full-time (and who lives at least 100 km from home) and does not have regular access to a vehicle can qualify for a discount.
- If you put winter tires on your vehicle between Nov. 30 and Mar. 31.
- If you’ve insured your home and vehicle with SGI.
No — SGI does not have an app for car insurance policyholders. It does have another app: the SGI Safe Ride App, which was created to give people easy access to information about taxis, buses, and other designated driver services. It’s only available to residents of Saskatchewan.
How to submit a claim with SGI
All auto-related claims with SGI are made over the phone.
To make a claim over the phone: 1-877-844-8460
Hours of availability: 24-hours, seven days a week
What else does SGI do?
SGI Canada specializes in several types of products besides auto insurance coverage. It also offers home, condo, and tenant insurance. And, of course, SGI runs the Saskatchewan Auto Fund, the mandatory public auto insurance program in that province that also oversees driver's licensing and vehicle registration.