Learn more about SGI Insurance Canada.
The name Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is a bit deceiving. SGI actually operates in five provinces across Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and of course, Saskatchewan.
The SGI Insurance brand is also part of the Crown corporation that runs the Saskatchewan Auto Fund, the province's compulsory public auto insurance program.
Today, SGI Insurance Canada remains headquartered in Regina. SGI as a whole employs approximately 2,000 staff, 500 of whom are independent insurance brokers.
As of mid-2020, reviews for SGI Canada were not available. The leading consumer ranking, the J.D. Power Canada Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, does not include SGI Insurance in their survey.
Enter your postal code above to get a free online quote from SGI Canada car insurance. You’ll also be able to compare SGI Canada car insurance against 75+ Canadian insurance providers on LowestRates.ca.
The SGI car insurance advantage.
SGI Canada offers Canadian car insurance customers the option of choosing between three core packages of collision or upset coverage, comprehensive coverage, and all perils coverage. Policyholders can also qualify for a number of discounts if they satisfy certain requirements, including:
- They’ve kept up a policy — with SGI or elsewhere — for three or more years.
- They’ve been insured exclusively under the SGI brand and have a good driving record.
- They’ve gone three years without a minor conviction, they can qualify for discounts with SGI.
- They’ve insured multiple vehicles with SGI.
- All retired SGI drivers are eligible for a discount.
- People who live on a farm and whose primary method of income is farming can receive discounts.
- New drivers with a spotless record can get discounts for graduating into a higher class of licence.
- Parents or guardians of a student enrolled in university full-time (and who lives at least 100 km from home) and does not have regular access to a vehicle can qualify for a discount.
- If you put winter tires on your vehicle between Nov. 30 and Mar. 31.
- If you’ve insured your home and vehicle with SGI.
Is there an app?
No — SGI does not have an app for car insurance policyholders. It does have another app: the SGI Safe Ride App, which was created to give people easy access to information about taxis, buses, and other designated driver services. It’s only available to residents of Saskatchewan.
How to submit a claim with SGI
There are two main ways to contact SGI Canada insurance to file a car insurance claim: by phoning or filing online.
- Phone number for SGI Canada insurance claims:
- Hours of availability:
- Call the above number to reach SGI Canada's insurance claims agents, who staff the phone lines 24-hours, seven days a week
- To make a claim online:
- Use your SGI Canada login credentials to sign into the MySGI portal. From there, you can file a claim or manage your car insurance policy.
About the Author
Alexandra Bosanac is the Core Content Manager for LowestRates.ca. Her reporting has appeared in Canadian Business, the Toronto Star, the National Post, and the CBC.