Learn more about The Co-operators Canada car insurance.
The Co-operators’ corporate philosophy puts fairness first. The brand’s reputation is based on this philosophy.
The Co-operative Life Insurance Company was founded by farmers from Saskatchewan, Quebec, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces in 1945. The company’s founders were disillusioned by big business after surviving the Great Depression. The hardships they experienced motivated them to found a new kind of insurance company, one based on a co-operative model. Headquartered in Guelph, Ont., The Co-operators is fully Canadian-owned.
The Co-operators’ auto insurance business structure differs from a for-profit insurance company in a few key ways. Policyholders are co-op members and can vote on the company’s direction at its annual general meeting, among other privileges. “Every member has an equal voice,” is a company motto.
Most importantly, when a profit is made, it’s distributed to the co-op’s members. The Member Loyalty Program pays members out in a way that’s proportionate to the amount of business they do with them. For example, for someone who has a home and auto insurance policy with The Co-operators, the payout could come in the form of fees being waived.
Want to see how other car insurance companies compare against The Co-operators for car insurance? Get quotes online from 75+ Canadian insurance providers on LowestRates.ca today.
The Co-operators car insurance advantage.
The Co-operators Insurance Canada provides its members with a number of ways to save on auto insurance.
- Get a discount when you bundle two or more insurance policies with The Co-operators (home and auto is a common combo).
- In standing with its socially-conscious ethos, The Co-operators offers automatic discounts to policyholders seeking to insure hybrid cars.
- If you belong to a professional, business or alumni organization, you may be eligible for even more discounts with The Co-operators. You might also qualify if your employer offers group insurance.
- If your driving record has been free from accident and traffic violations for a certain number of years, The Co-operators will offer you a lower premium compared to a driver with a patchier one.
There are even more ways to save on insurance: install an anti-theft device in your car; insure more than one vehicle with The Co-operators; have more vehicles and fewer drivers; renew your insurance with The Co-operators, and lastly, use winter tires during the winter months.
En-route Auto Program: The Co-operators’ telematics program is called the en-route Auto Program. Telematics is also known as usage-based auto insurance, and it’s offered by most insurers. The en-route Auto Program uses a wireless device to collect information about your driving, like your braking and acceleration and the distance you travel (among other factors). This is a voluntary add-on. By signing up, you’ll immediately save 5% off your annual premium. If you demonstrate good driving habits for an entire year, you could qualify for a discount of up to 25%. The discount will be applied to your account when you’re up for renewal. One downside is that the device is not compatible with vehicle models made before 1997, or certain vehicle makes and models.
Is there an app?
Yes, there is. The Co-operators’ app is available for Android or iOS. It allows you to file a claim, view your policy and billing documents, get a quote and find an advisor, all from within the app. Once you purchase a policy with The Co-operators, you will get login credentials that will allow you to access the app.
How to submit a claim with The Co-operators
If you’re considering making a claim, but you’re not sure you really need to, The Co-operators guarantees access to a claims agent who can answer your questions and help you decide. Your premium will not increase, nor will your inquiry impact your policy in the future.
There are several ways to start a claim with The Co-operators, but the first step is contacting your Co-operators financial advisor. You can do this by phone or through the app. Below are the numbers to file an insurance claim with The Co-operators.
- Phone number for The Co-operators car insurance claims line:
- To contact The Co-operators insurance claims line in Quebec:
- File through the app:
- The Co-operators' app, available for iOS and Android, allows you to file claims on your smartphone.
- Hours of availability:
- The above phone numbers for The Co-operators insurance claims line are staffed 24-7, all year-round.
About the Author
Alexandra Bosanac is the Core Content Manager for LowestRates.ca. Her reporting has appeared in Canadian Business, the Toronto Star, the National Post, and the CBC.